Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Lengths ED Takes You To

I was talking with a friend tonight on my way home from school and she was mentioning a special she was watching the other night on TV. She said that they were interviewing young models and they were saying that the way they stay thin is by eating toilet paper because it makes them feel full and also absorbs all of the fluid in their stomach to make them weigh less. Just the thought of that alone broke my heart, I remember before recovery being at a point in my life where I may have considered doing something like that just to weigh less. Now, however, the thought alone makes me sick as I think about the damage that action could do to someones body. The mind set that people are in when full boar in an eating disorder is so clouded, every action taken is pre-determined by the internal voice of the eating disorder. When I hear stories like this, it breaks my heart and I wish I could help those struggling all around the world turn their lives around and run far away from ED. Society today has made so many eating disorder behaviors seem "normal" and they are so socially acceptable but yet are literally killing people across the world. This serves as a motivator as well for me personally to keep pressing on in my recovery and never go back to those dark days filled with clouded choices.

1 comment:

  1. You can help them. God can use you that way. You've gone through what you've gone through for a reason. 'Every scar is a bridge to someones broken heart'

    ReplyDelete