Friday, October 7, 2011

One Year

One year ago tomorrow, I graduated from The Healing Connection. This is marked forever in my heart as one of the best days of my life. I remember vividly, the tears streaming down my cheeks as I said my thank yous in the goodbye circle and as all those around me who love me and supported me through the hardest three months of my life cheered me on as I walked out those doors as a different person. I remember being scared to death but for the first time in my entire life I knew who I was, I knew what I was worth, and I knew what I deserved, this gave me a sense of such empowerment. As I reflect over this last year I am overwhelmed by how far I have come in my recovery and I know it is not by my own will alone that I am where I am today. It is because of the Lord, my parents, family,my therapists, doctors, nutritionist and my amazing friends that I am where I am today. I had my weekly doctor's appointment yesterday with Dr. Kreipe where he announced to me and my family that after reviewing my chart and weights and vitals over the past year, he is proud to announce me as "eating disorder free". Yes, the thoughts to restrict and "purge" through exercise are still there but over the past year, I have not brought any of those thoughts into action in my life. I have acknowledged the thoughts and have "thrown them out the window" as my therapists have encouraged me to do. I have been faced with many trials this year and even through all of the stress I have not lost sight of recovery and its place in my life. Recovery is a daily choice, I don't believe that one day someone who has a history of an eating disorder can just wake up and make an announcement that they are "healed", rather it is a daily choice, a daily commitment and as time goes on, that commitment grows even stronger and weeks turn to months and months to years. I am so very thankful for how far the Lord has brought me in my recovery and I hope and pray that my story inspires you to keep pressing on. You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to, the sky is the limit <3

1 comment:

  1. Hello Love,
    After reading through these posts, flash backs of all that has transpired in our home over the past year and half brings me to tears.But these tears are different than the millions that we have shed in past, these are of hope and thankfulness to Jesus in His continuence to carrying us through.Bre, it is my prayer that as you fight this daily battle you will also begin to believe and" be confident in this very thing that He who has begun a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" Phil:1:6. You are a remarkable creation of His, a jewel that is precious! Walk in the shadow of His wings and as that famous poem states..when there was only one set of footprints in the sand, it was then that He carried me. I love you my love. mom

    ReplyDelete