Monday, October 31, 2011

'Anna Rexia'

I was flipping through my school newspaper the other day when a title caught my eye, "Sexy 'Anna Rexia' Halloween Costume is in Poor Taste". There was also a photo featured of the latest most popular Halloween costume, a skinny girl featured in a short black dress adorned with bones and a measuring tape belt. The very sight made my heart melt. How could anyone ever make a Halloween costume representing one of the most deadly diseases affecting people today? As I continued to read the article I was pleasantly surprised to read that the writer was defending those who suffer from the disease and making a stand for the fact that making a costume out of a disease is not funny at all. The writer likened it to making a costume representing HIV/AIDS. This is so very true and proves a strong point, anorexia and/or any other eating disorder is not anything to be made into a joke. It's sad to me how society has become so numb to people's struggles with eating disorders. It's my hope that I stand strong as an advocate to stand up for those fighting this disease including myself. We are worth more than to be used as some "funny" costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment