Monday, November 21, 2011

I found this advertisement online which is advertising a contact that helps individuals with eating disorders. The advertisement caught my attention because the message it is sending is so true. Often times individuals judge those with eating disorders saying, "You're so skinny, why can't you just see it?" The factor that they seem to forget, however, is that eating disorders are mental illnesses, they send negative and false messages to the person viewing themselves. I remember weighing my lowest weight but when I looked in the mirror all I saw was fat. It was interesting because the only difference day to day that I recognized is where the "fat" I saw clearly was positioned. Some days I would feel as if my legs were big while the next I thought my face was big and chubby. The mirror is an individual with an eating disorder's worst enemy. The mirror deceives and allows the brain to send wrong messages eventually leading to eating disorder behaviors becoming worse. When I saw my eating disorder doctor for the first time he gave me a string and he had me measure out how large I believed my waste line to be. He then took the string and placed it around me, it resulted in excessive additional string. I had perceived my waste line as being 2 times bigger than it actually was. This just goes to show how much the eating disorder distorts one's image of themselves. The next time you go to look in the mirror, consider the fact that the eating disorder is screaming lies at you the whole time and that you're probably only half the size of what you believe you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment