Friday, September 23, 2011

Facebook

I have noticed lately that I have friends on Facebook that are probably not the best to have blowing up my newsfeed as I venture through recovery. I have accumulated these friends through various therapy groups and through rehab. It's great to have bonds with individuals that are going through recovery too but the only hindrance comes when they are not at the same place in their recovery as you. This isn't said in a pompous way but rather in an assertive way standing up for my own recovery. Among these friends are the ones that rotate daily posting status updates about how "fat" they are and how they refuse to eat for weeks after having one meal. Then there's those who post pictures of themselves and the caption is entitled "Finally fit back into my skinny jeans!" Gee, I wonder why you fit into those again, maybe because you had eating disorder behaviors recently. Last but not least there's the absolutely beautiful girl that claims she's in recovery but then posts that she's working out for the 5th time that day. These may seem like minor hiccups but in reality, they can make a huge impact on your recovery. For me, it makes me think about when I used to be able to fit into those jeans or worked out in a irrational manner. Triggers are something that we discussed in depth daily in rehab and for me, these photos and posts are absolute triggers and could send me potentially on a downward spiral. Join with me and make a stand for your own body and what you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment