Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Media's Role Today

I just started back to college a few weeks ago. I am a communications major and as I sit in on my classes I can't help to notice the trend of the question asked so far by almost every teacher, "Do you feel that the media today impacts individuals body image?" Of course, I am the first one to raise my hand and advocate for girls such as myself that struggle with body image and have these messages bombarding us everyday from the media telling us to be thinner and prettier. This topic is now part of two of my main final papers. Why am I so interested in the media's role concerning body image? Because I am tired of being flooded with these messages and I imagine you are too. If I can do something to make a difference, I will. I believe where there's a will, there's a way. The other night I walked into the living room only to see the TV showing the Miss Universe pageant. Now, this is something I have watched every single year since I was a young child, wishing and hoping that someday I would be walking down that runway with the sparkle dress and shoes. As I saw the final five girls lined up, I saw my old self in them, unhealthy and unhappy. I then made the conscious choice to click the TV off and walk away. This was a huge step for me, last year I would have been glued to the TV trying to figure out a new plan to make my anorexia even more severe to get as "skinny and beautiful" as them. This is just an example of the media's impact on society today, I had already been hit with so many messages throughout the day concerning the "perfect body" and now I stand in my own living room watching skeletons parade up and down the runway. We live in a world saturated in critique of each individuals body and as someone in recovery, I know how hard it is to stand up against the flow. When my friends are eating carrots and ranch dressing for dinner because they feel "fat" I am pounding down a steak dinner, it seemed awkward at first but as long as I keep my head and heart focused on recovery, I can do this and so can you <3 It's time to start a new trend, one towards the advancement of healthy eating and healthy living, who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment